Wednesday 31 January 2018

Khichdi: A question of to be or not to be

It's been a while that I have written something, mainly because lately it feels like I have lesser and lesser to say. And what else could I say anyway that hasn't already been said before. In a world of Van Gogh and Martin Scorcese and Christopher Nolan and Sulman Rushdie and Jhumpa Lahiri and John Green and Khaled Hosseini and Shakespeare, the great storytellers and poets and philosophers and artists what could I even say that wouldn't feel like a sorry plain and mellow mush of khichdi in a room full of exotic mouth watering cuisines. These are some of the questions that gnaw my heart and leave me inevitably feeling inspired and uninspiring both at the same time. And these were some of the things I was wondering while I whiled away my time on a footover bridge overlooking a very busy road on the one hand and a setting golden orange sky on the other. Now what was I even doing on the footover bridge in the first place? Well, super blue blood moon and overzealous friend who managed to get me excited enough to run to the bridge to see the historic once in a lifetime event from 30 kms away were the culprit it seems. I hung over the bridge for more than an hour hoping to catch something life altering but all I really got were blaring traffic noises from underneath and atleast a tonne of smoke into my lungs. But it wasn't so bad. I listened to stairway to heaven and pondered over the questions I ask myself every once in a while. Suddenly my attention fell on a barefooted man running around in the heavy traffic charged with a lathi, trying hard to control the traffic which remained oblivious of this crazy little man though mindful to not hurt him. Seeing him milling about, I kept wondering how thin a line there is between obsession and insanity; and how liberating would the latter feel. I enjoyed my little bridge time though I couldn't really answer all the questions I keep throwing at myself. Maybe it isn't about finding all answers to our questions but maybe it's about finding questions whose answers are worth looking for. Maybe it's a little similar with writing. We don't really need a reason to write and despite all the wonderful things written in the world, it still doesn't have that one thing that only you and you can offer; your perspective. And even though what you have to offer might just look like plain mush khichdi, remember that on awful days when everything hurts there is nothing more satisfying and comforting than a bowl of warm khichdi.

No comments:

Post a Comment